Saturday, August 16, 2008
My rogue is finally finished!
Those of you who are not knitters may feel free to ignore this entry entirely.
I started this sweater 2-3 years ago, and have been working at it on & off ever since. I didn't let myself knit the summer I was studying for MCAT, so it has been ignored for months at a time.
It's knit out of Cascade 220 in a heather colourway (9443). It's a dark red with a bright blue heathered into it.
This pattern is available at www.girlfromauntie.com.
I did the cardigan modifications because I really don't like pullovers. They're always too hot and make my hair all staticky in the winter.
Issues that I had were:
1. I did the hem modification where you start the hem on smaller neeldes before a turning row. Then you knit the length of the hem and knit each stitch together with it's corresponding cast-on loop. Sounds genius, but I may have got my row count wrong or something, because it was extremely flippy, and the hem was always pointing straight up when I tried it on.
I'm a pretty easygoing knitter, but it just looked stupid. So I got very brave and cut off my original hem. Then I knit downward and just made a plain old hem that had to be sewed down in the traditional fashion. I cut one row closer than I had planned, and almost ended up messing with the cabling. So close.
2. I have a little cable-crossing error that doesn't bother me enough to change it at this point in time.
3. I forgot the pocket. Doh! Wasn't paying attention at the point in the pattern where you are supposed to start it. Oh well, I may get bored and try to find a creative way to add pockets later.
I weighed this sweater before putting in the zipper and it was 603 grams. So just over six skeins. Not bad considering I lengthened the body and the sleeves.
This was a fun pattern and I'm so happy with the finished product. It fits me well. I put in a 24 inch zipper so I can keep my neck warm when it's windy out. And now for more pictures!